Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Madrid Pride Still a Political Hotbed!

Jonathan Agassi of Lucas Entertainment has withdrawn from scheduled appearances during Madrid’s Gay Pride festival over differences in political ideology. He said he was “outraged” when festival organizers withdrew their invitation to participate in the Pride March from a Tel Aviv delegation. This all came about because the mayor of Tel Aviv failed to condemn Israel’s attack on ships trying to break its Gaza blockade and Agassi withdrew unity in with his countrymen.

“After what has happened, and as human rights campaigners, it seemed barbaric to us to have [the Tel Aviv delegation] taking part,” Antonio Poveda, of Spain’s Federation of Lesbians, Gays, Transexuals and Bisexuals, told the UK’s Guardian newspaper. “We don’t just defend our own little patch.”

Agassi added his voice to those of the Tel Aviv group, which accused the Madrid Pride March organizers of inappropriate political activism. “It’s terrible that the organizers made such an awful decision, especially since Israel is so supportive of gay rights, but I’m proud of my choice [to withdraw],” Agassi said. “Madrid was supposed to be my first pride event outside of Israel, and I was so excited about it, but I have no regrets. I will never forget where I came from. Israel is and will always be my home, and I will forever support and stand up for my country.”

Said Michael Lucas (you know he would get a word in edgewise!): “Jonathan and my crew filmed two movies in Spain just two months ago,” he added. “I don’t think we will return.”

No comments: