Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Straight Dudes I Dig: Aaron Marino

I’ve always been fascinated with the concept of instant, self-made celebrity. In the 1960’s, amphetamine-addled extroverts and fame-hungry trannies thrust themselves in front of Andy Warhol’s whirring, not-always-in-focus 16mm movie camera and were christened “Superstars”. Nowadays, with the help of a simple video camera, an Internet connection and a You Tube account, anyone can be a superstar (amphetamines and falsies not included).

You might have seen Chris Crocker’s infamous “Leave Britney Alone!” video that catapulted him to viral-video fame and You Tube royalty. Shirtless-work-out-wonder-boy Scott Herman has over 22,000 subscribers on the site and counting (and yes, I am a loud and proud Hermanite myself). While neither as celebrated nor as subscribed to like Crocker and Herman, Aaron Marino is one of my favorite You Tube vloggers and a straight dude I dig. While he doesn’t cry under a bed sheet about the derailed careers of pop divas or appear shirtless (DAMN IT!), his smoking Italian hotness and gay-friendly attitude more than deserve your attention.

Aaron is a men’s image consultant who hails from Atlanta, GA (in his case more like HOTLANTA). He dishes out men’s fashion and grooming advice on topics such as how to properly take care of your finger nails (he’s so manly he does his own damn nails, thank you very much) to how to choose the proper bathing suit (note: guys in Speedos scare the shit out of him). Two weeks in a row he’s worked the phrase “hung like a donkey” into his videos, and I’m seriously praying it will become his trademark slogan. I’ve always appreciated the fact that he doesn’t tailor his videos strictly to a straight-male audience, and that he openly acknowledges his gay audience both in the videos themselves and in his follow-up to comments.

Check out this recent video where Aaron is rocking some serious chesticular cleavage in a wife beater and tell me if you don’t agree that he’s a straight guy you could seriously dig, too. ">

2 comments:

Henry the K said...

What's this guy's problem? The less a man is wearing (assuming he's at least moderately good-looking), the better. I've hated what he calls board shorts since they first appeared as surfer jams in the 1960s. Why are American men so laughably modest?

First Darren said...

I don't think Aaron has a problem. He just likes what he likes. I don't always agree with what he has to say, either. Personally, I like board shorts because they show off a guy's calves and feet. But that's just me.