Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Josh Cavallo is world’s first top-level pro footballer to come out as gay

 

Australian footballer Josh Cavallo become the first top-level professional footballer to come out after posting a coming out video to his club’s Twitter account. The 21-year-old says he’s known he was gay for six years and is ready to release the weight from his shoulders.

“There’s something personal that I need to share with everyone. I’m a footballer and I’m gay,” he starts in what feels like a reality TV confessional.

“Growing up I always felt the need to hide myself because I was ashamed – ashamed I would never be able to do what I love and be gay. Hiding who I truly am to pursue a dream I always wished for as a kid.”

Cavallo explains all he’s wanted is to “play football and be treated equally” and is tired of living a double-life.

“Coming out to my loved ones, my peers, my friends, my teammates, my coaches has been incredible. The response and support I have received is immense.”

No comments: